We tried another new recipe this week and my family enjoyed it because you can eat it as the main dish, cook it as a side dish, or use to wrap in soft taco wraps. I love a recipe that has so many ways to use it.
This is also a great dish to make and have to heat up as leftovers for lunch.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 large (1.5 lbs.) chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 whole green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Drain and briefly rinse the black beans. Add the dry rice, black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, and oregano to an 8×8 inch casserole dish. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Cut the chicken breasts into three pieces each. Push the chicken pieces down into the rice salsa mixture in the casserole dish. Try to push them down as far into the liquid as they’ll go. Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake for one hour.
- Take the casserole dish out of the oven, test the rice with a fork to make sure it is tender. If it is not, recover the dish, return it to the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. When the rice is tender, sprinkle the cheese over top and return the casserole to the oven for a few minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Add the sliced green onions on top after baking and serve hot.