3.22.2013

Found The Perfect Desk For My Guest Room


As you saw in a previous post I am giving my guest room a makeover. I also have picked up a new hobby of giving furniture a new life. My daughter will be going to college in a just a few months and should she bring home any sorority sisters or friends I want the room ready to go!

I have been on the hunt for an older desk and I found my desk!!


I found it at a yard sale one Saturday morning. They were asking $125.00 but I was able to get it for $80.00!! A real wood from the 1940s and very heavy wood I might add.

Eddie and I were then off to Home Depot to purchase the tools I needed to get started on my new"hobby!" Who knew I would be so excited!!!




I started sanding and found there is no way I could have completed this by hand. Having an electric sander is a must, at least for me!


After hours of sanding here is the 1st step finished!



As I was sanding I found a note inside that was written to the owner of the desk for Valentines Day from his daughter. I also found the owners name on the desk. He was a Captain in the Army and he used the desk in his office. I was able to google him and found his wife was from Norway and came over in 1926 to the Statue of Liberty. Great history!



I plan to remove the little note.....I know it will be said to see Little Ingrid's note go but I am going to paint the inside of the drawers black to give it a clean sleek look.

Taking the original handles off of a desk that is from the 1940s was a little challenging but that's when you bring your husbands strong muscles in!



The top of the desk had two deep cuts that I really wanted smoothed out.


I found the perfect product to use when you have this problem and it worked great!


The primer that I choose to use was Zinsser Cover Stain Primer and I was very pleased with it.




The first coat of primer is on and we are moving in the right direction for Step 2! I am so excited with what the finished product will end up looking like. Remember this is just with the first coat of primer!



 Here is an idea of where my inspiration came from. I cant wait to have my desk in place.





 This weekend will be filled with hours of painting so I can try and wrap this up and get it in place. I hope to have a picture to update you soon!

Have a great weekend!



 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...