10.26.2012

Update on My Upcoming Savannah Rock N Roll Half Marathon




What I am doing different for my 3rd upcoming half marathon in Savannah..............


I have learned so many different things over the last year and 1/2 of running. On November 3rd I am running my 3rd half marathon for this year. There are a couple of things I will be doing differently.

 One thing will be on  Thursday and Friday  before the race I am going to eat a good breakfast, lunch and dinner. One mistake I made in my last run was trying to loose weight all the way up until race day. I tried to just carb up the night before and that was a big mistake. This race I will not eat different or unusual foods that my system is not used to but I will eat heavier meals.


I have been reading several studies and here is what I have put together for myself. The best breakfast for a few days before and up until the race will consist of mainly carbohydrates since they are digested rapidly and are your body's preferred fuel source. The day before the race until start time I am going to limit and try to avoid fat and fiber because they take to long to digest. They can also cause bloating and GI problems. I have been so blessed to be a runner that does not have GI issues while running. I will also be sure to have clean protein.

I have had several people recommend a bagel and peanut butter, oatmeal with milk and dried fruit, or yogurt and toast. I will be taking in lots of water and make sure I am very hydrated which was a mistake I made on my last half marathon in April.

Once this upcoming Thursday hits I am putting aside the idea of loosing weight and just focusing on good nutrition. I am so excited about this run because I feel better than I have ever felt! I know I am going to set the PR time I am looking for!!

I have also decided that I will not be caring my water bottle this time. Last two runs I carried it and had Gatorade. By mile 10 the Gatorade was way to sweet and I was ready to throw my bottle on the side of the road but I didn't. This time I am going to depend on the water stations and only take in water. My husband is very nervous about me not having my own water because of the scary situation that took place in Vegas last year where all the runners became ill but I don't know the real cause of that so I am sure I will be fine.

I will take a chocolate GU in 15 minutes before the run and then another at 4.50 miles. My hope is to only need the two of them. During my 2nd half marathon in April I took in way to much. I think I started eating gews just because I was bored and need something to do. The race was a long stretch along the beach and as I have mentioned before I need lots of twist and turns to keep my mind busy.

Speaking of GU, my two favorites are the Chocolate and the Peanut Butter. They are so good!


November 3rd and Savannah, Here I come!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...