I am giving very serious thought to starting a training program for a triathlon. I have mentioned before the only way for me to increase my speed on running is to continue to bring my weight down a little more which is still in a very healthy zone if not an even healthier zone. If I take on the training my diet must also follow a very strict program.
To do this I am focusing my attention back on my daily meal plan. I spoke with a nutritionist and she shared great advice with me. I wanted to pass along a few of my snacks that I eat twice a day. I have my breakfast, lunch, and dinner which consist of a protein and carb. The two snacks I have around 10:00 and 2:00.
These are so easy to prepare for the week and making taking my lunch to work is so easy. I also try to stay around 100-200 calories for each snack.
Ideas for snacks are:
- Zucchini muffins or carrot muffins from low calorie high protein recipe
- Mojo Bars by Cliff
- Quaker Chewy Bars with Protein
- Snack Size Zip lock bag filled with a high protein cereal
- Cheese stick with a hand full of wheat thins
- Apples cut up with lunch meat
- Greek yogurt but I am still adjusting to this one. Right now I am eating light regular yogurt
- Piece of toast with peanut butter
- The easiest protein is lunch meat and I add fruit or a yogurt.
- My favorite is Muscle Milk
Things that are great for snack but more of a weekend snack because they require a little more work or additional items.
- Frozen fruit. This could be strawberries or grapes.
- Egg white omelet with vegetables
- If I am in the mood for something special I make a fruit and yogurt parfait in a special glasses
- Protein waffle with sugar free syrup
- Smoothies. I use pre packaged smoothie mix in the freezer section and a scoop of protein powder
- Popcorn. You can add seasonings on it for a different flavor. This is more of a munchie snack.